Zadar promenade and Sea Organ
From the 1880 until the beginning of the 20th century the walls of the bastion were almost completely destroyed. It was then that the great seafront promenade was built and it was given the name the Nova Riva, in contrast with the old port in the northern part of the city. There was also a long pier for fast coastal ships from Trieste to Kotor. At that time Zadar was the capital of the Province of Dalmatia and this part of the city had a special flare of the bourgeois and urban 'glamour'. Eighteen grand palaces of residential and public purposes were erected, as well as exclusive hotels and coffee houses. Together with the new seafront promenade they created the liveliest part of the city.
Only three buildings have been preserved until this days: The Saint Demetrius Lycee for Women and the Borelli Palace, which today house the university of Zadar and its management, and the former hotel Bristol.
Leave a Reply.