Most of the terrain in the Kornati islands is karst-limestone which, in the distant geological past, arose from sediment from the sea. In the stone on the islands there are numerous fossils of crustaceans and fish. In the area there examples of all the typical forms of karst: bizarre shapes formed by the atmosphere, unexplored caves, areas of flat rock and, above all, cliffs. Karst rock is porous, rapidly draining and dry, and so therefore are the Kornati islands.
National Park Plitvice Lakes is only two hours by bus from Zadar.
It is one of the oldest national parks in Southeast europe and the largest national park in Croatia. The national park was founded on April 8,1949 and is situated in the mountainous karst area of central Croatia. The important north-south road connection, which passes through the national park area, connects the Croatian inland with the Adriatic coastal region. In 1979, Plitvice Lakes National Park was added to the UNESCO World Heritage register.
The south gate of the old town
The Land Gate was build in 1543 in the southern defensive walls, approximately ten metres from Grimani bastion. The so-called Porta Terraferma (the Land Gate), by the Venetian architect Michele Sanmicheli, is considered a masterpiece of the Renaissance architecture and sculpture. The Land Gate corresponds to the ancient triumphal arch with three passageways, the grand arched one in the middle and two smaller, ones on each side. The equestrian relief depicting Saint Chrysogonus, the city's patron saint, is in the keystone above the grand archway. Above it there is a skilfully carved winged lion symbolizing Saint Mark the Evangelist i.e. the Republic of Venice. On the left is the Rector's coat of arms and on the right is the Captain's coat of arms. Appropriate plaques with inscriptions above the small passageways contain information about its construction time.
Surrounding the entire fortification system there was a moat filled with water and a wooden drawbridge allowed the access into the city.
The design of the grand Forte fortress of a tenaille type, built in accordance with the newest military technology between 1566 and 1569, is credited to the Venetian condottiere Sforza Palavicino. Because of its construction, occupying the entire width of the peninsula, the suburban settlement Varoš had to be destroyed. Along the eastern walls of the Forte fortress a water-filled moat was excavated in the 17th century and a new fortress, the so-called Mezzaluna (half-moon shape), was built. Its construction led to the devastation of the Roman amphitheatre remains.
Kornati National Park was founded in 1980. Park includes 109 islands, of which 76 are less than 1 hectare in size. Of the total land surface area of Kornati (62 km2), 85% is stony, and only 5% has been cultivated.
Park is located in the northern part of Dalmatia, south from Zadar and west from Šibenik. With 35 kilometres length and 140 islands, in a sea area of about 320 square kilometres, the Kornati are the densest archipelago in the Mediterranean Sea. The name of the archipelago is the plural form of the name of the largest island, called Kornat.
The Krka National Park is located near Šibenik town and encompasses an area of 109 square kilometers along the Krka River. The national park is a spacious, largely unchanged region of exceptional and multifaceted natural value, and includes one or more preserved or insignificantly altered ecosystems.
Park belongs to the Southern European, Mediterranean and sub-Mediterranean region. Due to its special position and the mosaic distribution of various types of habitats, it is characterized by exceptionally rich and varied flora and fauna. Eight hundred and sixty species and subspecies of plants have been identified within the territory of the Krka National Park, including several endemic species.
There are several places of interest. The attractions and facilities available are various footpaths, sightseeing tours and presentations, boat trips, souvenir shops, a museum, and restaurants. There are also several archeological remains of unpreserved fortresses in the park's vicinity dating back to as far as the Roman times. They are Čučevo, Nečven, Bogočin, Ključica and Burnum.