Gospa od Zdravlja
The square 'Tri Bunara' was named after a cistern built in a medieval fortress moat in the seventies of the 16th century, onto which three well heads were placed in 1761.
The Kaštel fortress was originally built for Venetian soldiers in 1243 and was reconstructed and extended on many occasions in the mid 14th and early 15th centuries. The so-called Small Arsenal, a rectangular tower on the south-western corner, is still preserved today, whereas the octagonal tower on the eastern side and some parts of the fortress are presented within the Bastion hotel.
A new vehicular passage was opened in 1877 further to the east in the medieval defensive wall, on the site of the earlier Chain Gate (where the city port used to be closed by a chain).
In 1752 a port warehouse called the Grand Arsenal was built within the city walls in the immediate vicinity of the gate. After recent renovations it has been successfully revitalized into public facilities.
The Church of Our Lady of Health (Gospa od Zdravlja), with its western facade and bell tower , is a picturesque and remarkable urban accent at the western end of the main street. Due to notable adoration of the icon of Our Lady of kaštel painted by Blaž Jurjev Trogiranin in 1447, a new rotunda on the site of a medieval chapel was erected in 1582. As a result of it everincreasing importance and adoration it was extended between 1703 and 1705 on the eastern side with a nave and on the western with a bell tower. The church belonged to the monastery of the Capuchin Friars where St.Leopold Mandić resided. A prominent Zadar archbishop Vicko Zmajević, who died at the beggining of the second half of the 18th century, was buried in the sanctuary of the church.
The western part of the church was demolished in the 1944 bombing, however after facsimile reconstruction in the early nineties of the 20th century, its original function has been restored.
Busts of prominent Zadar artists, historians, linguists, writers, politicians, and other public and cultural figures can be found in a small park to the west of the church.
Leave a Reply.